First and foremost I hope that you and yours are healthy and safe – getting through the craziness that is COVID-19 (Corona Virus) as best as possible, and hopefully staying sane while being cooped up in the house full-time! At the bottom of this message I have listed some COVID-19 updates for posterity. Before that though I wanted to emphasize that in spite of the challenges facing us PMI continues to be an organization that we can count on to support us as PM’s, as we show our businesses each and every day why PM is so vital. We will get through this, and when we do I have no doubt that we will continue to drive excellence in this profession that transcends industries.
PMI leadership recently sent out a link to a COVID-19 resource hub (COVID-19 Resource Hub), which may be found easily on the PMI website (https://www.pmi.org/). I would encourage you to review as it has many resources that are timely and relevant, including (but not limited to)…
- PMXPO – Earn 6.5 PDU’s Free by attending a virtual on-demand event with inspiring keynote; available on-demand until June 26.
- Business continuity online course (Free)
- Agile in the PMO – Free online course!
- Project Management for Beginners – Free online course
As a chapter we are also exploring ways to deliver virtual events in the near future – stay tuned!
COVID-19 updates (4-6-20):
• 337,000 reported cases in the USA, with 10,000 fatalities so far; White House predicts there could eventually be 100,000 to 240,000 lost to this.
• 41 states have stay at home orders in effect, masks are now recommended to go out in public, and social distancing signs are everywhere.
• Nearly impossible to find basic essentials like toilet paper which remain in short supply – even online.
• Companies across the board are either laying people off or furloughing employees as a result of the stalled economy. This has led to record unemployment numbers – 6,648,000 filed for unemployment the week of March 28, on top of 3,307,000 that had filed the week of March 21. The previous high was in Oct. 1982, when 695,000 filed.
In closing stay healthy, may you be able to provide for your loved ones in this uncertain time, and be safe.
Lorenz Ledesma, PMP
Chapter President, PMI-NNV