Thoughts from the President – July 2019
Greetings! This is my first letter to the membership as chapter President, and I am excited for what the future holds in store for us. Before I dive into potential focus areas I want to first extend a heartfelt THANK YOU to our Past President Mr. Dave Richards, as well as the board members who partnered with Dave and helped get us to where we are now:
• Tracy Sharp, VP of Finance (who will remain on in the new board for continuity)
• Jessica Craig, outgoing VP of Member Services
• Carla Fair-Wright, outgoing VP of Marketing
• Lisa Bausell, former VP Professional Development
This was an incredible leadership team, and I hope we as a chapter leadership team can measure up!
Next I’d like to congratulate Jennifer Duve for joining the board as VP Member Services! Jennifer has been in the P.M. field for 20+ years, and with her energy and enthusiasm will undoubtedly be an asset to our chapter! I very much look forward to learning from and partnering with her!
We have open roles for VP Marketing and VP Professional Development so if anyone has an interest in a leadership role in these areas please reach out.
I would be remiss if I didn’t give a special shout out to Lori Piccinini who has volunteered to help the board as our new Chapter Secretary (an often unsung but critical role), with our former Secretary (Fred Manuel) having recently accepted a position out of country. We wish Fred the greatest success in his next career phase, and welcome Lori!
As we move forward into our next phase as a chapter, hot off the heels of our 10 year anniversary, I’d like to sum up our potential focus areas into 3 key areas…
1) Continue to grow as a chapter – we are near 300 members as I write this, and had 15 – 20% growth these past 12 months. I fervently hope we not only retain our existing members, but continue to grow as an organization.
2) Increase the value proposition of being a member. We take the yearly dues and your time investment in our chapter seriously and want to pay that back through meaningful networking opportunities (e.g. the breakfast, lunch, and dinner meetings, etc.) as well as other networking events. At the recent annual meeting held on June 25 there was interest expressed in our offering up education opportunities such as PMP boot camps, which would serve the dual purpose of also helping us with our chapter finances. It takes volunteers to pull events like this off but we will definitely explore this!
3) Increase chapter participation. We will better succeed and thrive with more volunteers, and fresh ideas. There is ample opportunity to volunteer and help so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have even a little bit of time. We will also be more proactive in reaching out individually for volunteers. Together we achieve more!
In closing I look forward to collaborating with all of you and helping to keep project management at the forefront in the Northern Nevada area. Thank you in advance for the support to Jennifer, Tracy, and myself, and please don’t ever hesitate to reach out on how we may be of service.
Lorenz Ledesma, PMP
Chapter President, PMI-NNV